My Blog Log

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tri-Transitions

     Transition: passage:the act of passing from one state or place to the next; a change from one place or state or subject or stage to another; an event that results in transformation.

     One of the reasons that I love writing this blog is because of the relationship that triathlon has with everyday life. The two always seem to intermingle and this weeks blog is no exception. I have been quietly contemplating this next blog and more time has lapsed as a result. I needed time for personal reflection since my last entry. I wasn't happy with my last entry for a number of reasons, mainly because I rushed to post it, but more importantly because it wasn't my best effort. I've had races like that  where I knew when I crossed the finish line there was something I could have done better, and my last entry was exactly like that. I knew when I hit send it wasn't right.
     This entry is about transitions. Transition in triathlon is the time in between each sport. There is a transition area in triathlon where you rack your bike. Upon exiting the swim you run into,"transition," and get your bike for the ride, you may also change into bike clothes (in a tent if you are getting naked) and put on bike shoes. Then you re-enter the transition area to rack your bike before you venture out to run (again you may change shoes and clothes). The time in transition is added onto your total race time. If you are anything like me you can sometimes add unnecessary time onto the total. A few minutes added in transition can cost you placement in your event.
      Transitions in life can be difficult just like transitions in triathlon. You can "add" stress to your life un-necessarily.Transition in life could be that you have a new job or maybe you've just had a baby. Perhaps you've ended a marriage or you've experienced the death of a loved one, whatever the case transitions aren't easy. I have come to another transition in my life recently so it seems fitting to intermingle these two things  in my blog.
     In November, I completed my first half- ironman event and while I was completely overjoyed in participating, and even somewhat happy with my time, I knew in my heart there was room for improvement. Triathlon keeps me coming back for that reason. When I went back to analyze my time I realized that I would have been so much closer to my goal time if I would have been better in my transitions.
     Part of my tranisition problem with my last event was that there were two transition areas instead of one. Usually there is only one transition area to deal with and this is a good thing because you can familiarize yourself with where your bike will be before the race begins. I knew exactly which rack and which row( I counted) my bike was placed on so that when I came in after the swim to do the bike portion, I knew exactly where I was going.
      In transition two (bike to run) in my last event I could not see where I would place my bike(because the transition area was in a different location) and I depended on the volunteers to help me find my bike rack; not a good idea because the volunteer who helped me didn't know where my rack was. I'm not blaming her, it was confusing as I was at the beginning of a row and on the inside of a row. I added three minutes onto my time just because I couldn't find where to rack my bike. Lesson learned, study the map of the areas beforehand if you can't actually see the transition area ahead of time. I also added more time in transition in this race because I changed clothes for each event in order to have some comfort. I normally wear one tri-suit for an entire event. I would still have changed for each sport during this event; just faster.
     Another tip to help during triathlon transitions is to have all of your clothes out in the transition area( if it is allowed, some races do not allow this) so that when you come into change sports you can easily change your shoes or whatever clothing you need to. Need is a key word here because for Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons you should not have to change anything except shoes; bike shoes for your cycle and then run shoes for the run portion. Unless it is cold outside, you should be able to wear a tri-suit for the whole race. The bottom line is prepare. Check the weather too so you know if you'll need extra layers, especially for the bike portion- it can be cold and windy even in May in some states.
     I would highly recommend doing some practice transitions at home before race day.  A great way to incorporate race day is to do a "brick" workout where you also practice transitioning. A brick workout is when you cycle and then immediately run. This workout simulates what you'll be doing on race day less the swim portion. I did many of these before my half ironman event, but I like to do these before all distances. I have my running shoes ready to go in my driveway or in my car, I practice racking my bike( on my car bike rack or in my garage) and then off  I go for the run.
      Even with practice things happen, so another tip is to try to remain calm. I've had my chain fall off of my bike before I ventured out, and once a whole rack of bikes had toppled to the ground and I had to dig to the bottom to get my bike out. Situations like those you just go with and do your best. Life is like that too; sometimes situations arise, and you have no other choice, but to do the best you can.
    Transitions happen in life as well, and that is why I haven't blogged in a few days. Life is crazy sometimes and my husband and I are going through a transition as we speak. My husband decided to leave his company after being employed there for ten years. With the struggling economy his company did a reorganization  about a year ago. After sticking it out and reassessing the situation he decided it was time to move on. He took a severance package to walk away from a company that he was very loyal to.
    Change and transition are important parts of life, but what's more important is how you handle it. Like transitions in triathlon, you prepare, plan and execute. We have done the same things with my husband's job change. We have planned on living on his severance for a while, he has prepared to look for another job and he has executed those things by interviewing and networking. We have planned a household budget and we have followed through. I am happy to report the planning has paid off and he will be employed within the month.  
     Change is hard. Transitions are hard. Life is full of twists and turns and sometimes roadblocks. Triathlon is full of challenges too, and by participating in the game of triathlon like the game of life, I am better equipped at handling what is to come.

Tri -on Friends,
Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Great article on transitions of life and racing.

    Of course, the last one was great too because you mentioned me!

    ReplyDelete