My Blog Log

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tri-Tips

     After training and racing for nine plus years, I have been asked a dozen times or so, how do I keep going during a triathlon, do I ever walk, and when do I think I might stop racing? All really good questions that I would like to address in this post.
     I try really hard not to walk during my races, but if I need to I will. During my half ironman, this past November, I did walk for a minute or two towards the end of the half marathon. I needed a physical break as my hamstrings were starting to tighten, but I also needed a mental break; after all I had traveled 67 miles at that point. I came to a bridge at around mile eleven of the run and I got over that incline okay; it was the second incline that I wasn't mentally prepared for. I didn't really want to walk, but as I said above, I needed a mental break and in the scope of 70.3 miles what's a few minutes anyway?
     How do I keep going during a triathlon? Mostly, I think about all the training time I have put in and I tell myself I am so much more prepared than half the people on the field. I truly believe that, because I have witnessed so many participants out on the course who have not prepared. I've seen people sitting on curbs, bikes that have crashed, people who have dropped out. I had a conversation with a guy during the half ironman in November (run portion) and he told me flat out that he should have done more long runs for his training. I stayed with him for a while, and later he had to stop and walk a while, he could not go any farther.
     I have become great at mind games during endurance events. I never think of the whole race; ever. I take it one sport at a time. I first concentrate on the swim. I make sure my form is its absolute best during the swim. This means to follow through on my arm stroke, stretch out, and breath on both my left and right sides. Most people do not follow through with their arms when they swim, and this leads to fatigue because you will have to have to work harder to get your body through the water. Swimming technique is key for success.
     Once I get through the swim portion, I am immediately thinking of transition into the bike area. This means as I am exiting the water, I have already forgotten the swim, and my mind is on getting into the transition area as quickly as possible and getting my socks and cycling shoes on, along with my helmet. The next step is to get my bike and head out of the transition area. You must wait to mount your bike upon leaving the transition area. I concentrate on exiting the bike area without crashing into other cyclists, as there is always a bit of congestion getting out of transition. There are many things to think about at this point of the race, or T1 as it is called. Easy, right? At this point there are many details to keep my mind off the fact that I may be a little fatigued after the swim.
     Depending on the race distance I start to feel fatigued toward the last miles of the bike ride. So how do I distract myself? I try to concentrate on cadence or the number of revolutions of the crank per minute, or the speed at which I am turning the pedals on my bike. I literally count the number of revolutions per minute while I'm racing. During a race, I strive for 90-100 rpms. I concentrate on  counting and the action of my legs. The counting takes my mind off what I'm actually doing, and it takes my mind off the distance I have to go on the ride.
     The real test of a triathlon comes during the run. You've already swum and biked and now depending on the distance, you must force your muscles to do something they don't want to do. Your legs are like rubber for the first part of the run because during the cycling portion of the race your blood is flowing in a different direction(up towards your quads). So how do I get through the run? Again, I play mind games with myself. I know from experience that the first mile is going to be miserable, but after that when my muscle groups re-adjust to running, I know that the run will be less painful.
     Another tip to distract yourself during the run, is to set your watch timer every four minutes or so. I know that in about four minutes, I'll run a half mile. Four minute increments is a small amount of time. When I am starting to get tired during the run, I reset my timer to zero and go for four minutes. I can do anything for four minutes. This method works great during training as well. Using smaller blocks of time, versus say eight minute increments, is mentally easier for me to digest.
     Aside from doing four minute increments during the run, I also like to talk to people. It sounds crazy and how in the world would you have the energy to muster up conversation? Trust me it works. I usually start by asking a person how they are feeling. I have rarely had anyone respond that they felt great. The old expression rings true, misery loves company. I know that whomever I am talking to is hurting too, and somehow that is a comfort ; sick as that sounds.
      Talking to other people during an event is also a great way to meet people. I know it sounds weird, but everyone has a story, and I've learned a lot about the human spirit by talking with people during a race. I've met people with cancer and people who were participating because someone they loved had cancer. I've met old and young, men and women, first timers and seasoned athletes. Let me tell you, they all have stories and it is quite a distraction if you just start a conversation. Each time I race, I like to meet one new person.
     I am no expert by any means on the wonderful world of triathlon. I share with you what I know, in hopes that it may help you if you are a triathlete or maybe an aspiring one. I have such a passion for this sport, but more importantly I have a passion for people and compassion. Triathlon has been more for me than just sport, it has been a love affair. Through triathlon I can figure out who I am and who others are. Through pain and perserverance I can strive to be a better person. Triathlon helps me find the meaning of life.
     Oh, to answer the last question of when might I stop triathloning? When I can't possibly do it any longer; hopefully never. Watch the video below to see total inspiration and why I tri.

Tri- on Friends,
 Video from You Tube, Dick and Rick Hoyt  
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment