My Blog Log

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Teacher Rehabs Using Land and HydroWorx Pool

     Lisa G.is a third grade teacher and soccer coach in the Mechanicsburg/Dillsburg area of Pennsylvania (she wanted to remain somewhat anonymous because she is a teacher, so I left out her last name). She is an active runner and sports enthusiast. Last summer, Lisa was playing two on two basketball and injured her knee running after the ball. After the basketball injury she wasn't able to put any pressure on her knee. She waited a week or so and went to the doctor insisting on an MRI because she didn't want to wait another month before something could be done. The MRI showed a grade two MCL Sprain (Medical Collateral Ligament Sprain). The MCL is one of the four ligaments that stabilize the knee joint. She was able to start physical therapy right away. After a few weeks of that Lisa made the decision to have surgery because she didn't want to risk,"blowing out," her knee and having,"more complications."
     She is a very active person who also enjoys going to Gold's Gym 4-5 days per week where she participates in classes called Body Attack and Body Pump. Her job as a teacher demands that she is on her feet and she is also currently taking graduate classes in education. "I did the surgery because I wanted to get back to my active lifestyle."
     Lisa had ACL Reconstruction using the patellar tendon this past October at Grandview Surgery Center in Camp Hill, PA.  There was also a procedure done to clean up her fragmented meniscus.When I asked her if she was happy with her results her response was," I was satisfied with the results, but I experienced more pain than expected. I'll be happy when my knee is back to normal. I was never really given a definite time line and I was told I would need to wear a brace for three weeks but it ended up being five. I've been told every knee is different."
     I asked her what she is doing for rehab and how it is going. "I have a two hour program I do at OIP(Orthopedic Institute of Pennsylvania) and home exercises. I have been doing the bike, heel slides, wall slides, treadmill backwards, balancing on one leg, hurdles, and shuttles. I also use some weights and do manual stretching. I also did some therapy using the HydroWorx pool in Lemoyne, PA. I used the pool for about a month and a half. The pool was something I looked forward to, I enjoyed the exercises and really liked walking on the treadmill both forward and backwards. I found some of the exercises were easier in the water such as squats, butt kicks, lunges, stairs, and holding lunges. I was also able to do plyo jumps in the pool. I did notice a difference within the first few visits; simple things like walking backwards in the pool and step ups were less painful."
     Lisa still has another few months to go with her Physical Therapy. Her Physical Therapist has pushed for her to continue with land work. Her goal is to be at zero degrees for extension and 145 degrees of flexion with her knee and to return to "normal" exercise. Lisa has done a half marathon and doesn't have any specific races in mind yet, but she wants to get back to running 5-6 miles with her friends on a regular basis."I think I'll be in PT for about another two months. I need to work on my quad, hip and glute strength as my knee still internally rotates."
     I asked her if she would do the surgery again or if she would hesitate and she responded by saying,"This has been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. It has been an up and down roller coaster but I am thankful to have supportive people in my life. I couldn't drive for two months and friends and colleagues helped me. My knee is always on my mind; mainly because I have to go to PT and do my exercises all the time. I am happy to get back to the gym, but I can't do the elliptical yet. Still, I would do it all over again. I just never realized how it would affect my life."
     Lisa is still working with her doctor and doing her PT. Things are getting better each day but she still feels she has a little way to go. Her doctors are helping her set new goals and she is seeing results each week. She even mentioned doing a sprint triathlon as one of her goals! She is a girl after my own heart. I say go girl and I'll be there to cheer you to the finish.

Tri-on Friends,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment