My Blog Log

Friday, May 4, 2012

Racing to Revitalize

     Life brings so many cycles. Sometimes you cruise along and everything seems to be great and other times you wonder why you should start your day. Sounds dramatic, but there is some truth there. This past year has brought many challenges to my family. Last January my husband left his company of ten years, we moved across country again, I lost two relatives. My brother, who I'm very close with, went through a terrible divorce. Wait a minute isn't this blog supposed to inspire, you ask? Of course it is.
     Through all the challenges the one constant for me was triathlon. I could swim, bike, and run away from the,"stresses," of life. But then this past January I was faced with an injury, so my triathloning was limited to swimming until I was able to heal. Thankfully, it was a just a few short months.
     One of the things I learned through this setback was that you do the very best you can with what you've got. Many times we have high expectations in our lives, only to be disappointed when things don't turn out how we want them to. I decided to accept the injury and do what I could do, but even deeper than that I realized that perhaps the,"higher," power above was telling me to slow down. Balancing family, work, and triathlon is not an easy task, and after being involved in it for ten years maybe someone was telling me to cool it.
    Reflection is a funny thing, and in today's busy environment most of us can't settle down enough at the end of the day to even get a good nights sleep. I would encourage everyone to slow down and reflect upon what the truly important things are in life.
     I am reminded of my step-mom, who I saw over Easter, who is suffering from a disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis. The disease is in the realm of rheumatoid arthritis. Basically, she is in chronic pain most of the time. She has tried many different medications, but nothing seems to help. One of the things I have learned from her is that you live each day as if it is your last, and you appreciate what you have.
     She never complains of her disease, and I know that she physically hurts all the time. She is dignified and happy despite her challenges, and never talks about it. When asked," How are you feeling?" Her response is always,"Great." My dad is the person who explains to all of my family that she is not great, but that she doesn't want to dwell on the negative. That is inspiring and courageous.
     I had my first race of the season last weekend at Beaver Dam in Wake Forest, NC. I was instantly revitalized again after racing. I had a great race, but what was even sweeter was the fact that I was out there doing it, despite the challenges and burn out I had faced months prior. I was reminded, while racing, how lucky I truly am. Through the pain of triathlon I realized the gains I had made. Sounds so crazy, but there was another guy doing the race and on the back of his cycle shirt was the phrase," Feel the pain." I could totally relate. I knew the pain I felt during my triathlon was nothing like the pain my step mom, and many others deal with every single day. What's three hours?
     Another aspect that revitalized me was the fact that there were nice people participating. There were several kind people in my transition area that helped soothe my nerves before we started. We joked around, gave each other tips, and a guy across from me gave me a piece of tape to better attach my race number to my helmet. Sounds corny, but even though we were all competing against each other, we could still be kind to each other. Once the race started, I was encouraged with words from other athletes like,"You look strong, keep it up," on the run course. If you've ever raced you know how important those words can be when you feel like giving up.
     I again was reminded of how lucky I was to be out there participating. It wasn't about the time or winning, but rather enjoying my ability to be there. I would recommend to anyone to sign up for a race. There are all levels and distances of triathlon. You don't have to do an Iron Distance to feel proud. That is one of the many reasons why I love triathlon.

Race- On Friends,
Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment