My Blog Log

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A New Angel Got Her Wings

     Sometimes I question myself each week about what I am going to write. After all, how much triathlon talk can one take? But that is what makes this blog unique, it is about the interlinking of life and why I triathlon. I've hit this point many times, but I'll hammer it again. The way I work through my life is by staying active. By swimming, running, biking, I am able to work out my inner demons, my inner struggles. Some people use religion, some use therapy, some drugs and alcohol. While I am spiritual, and believe in the importance of faith, I also believe that without some healthy outlet I could chose to do something not so productive.
     This week I had planned on writing about running shoes. I had it all worked out in my mind, which is usually the way it works for me. I think about different ideas and I self-talk about what could work. Then I visualize, and then I write. But this week something happened. After a long fight with cancer my Aunt Didi ( my mom's sister) finally said goodbye to this earth. Writing about running shoes just seemed a little insignificant. Don't get me wrong, that blog will be there, and there is some important information to share, but in order to work out my aunt's death I needed to do the exercise of writing.
      I always admired my aunt. She had four boys that she stayed home with to raise. When the fourth child graduated from high school, she decided to go back to school and get her nursing degree. She worked at University Hospital, in Cleveland Ohio, as a nurse, helping young couples who had fertility issues. Aunt Didi loved her work and traveled an hour and a half each way to work everyday. She dedicated her life to others.
     I got the news of her passing on Tuesday morning, and immediately turned to my blog, but before I could finish writing I went for a run to clear my head. While running, I could think of what I wanted to write, and once again my life and triathlon intersected. Through my run, I could organize my emotions and try to remember the important things in life.
      My Aunt Didi recently had surgery to remove tumors that had metastasized to her brain, and she was moved from hospital to hospital. Finally, when nothing else could be done, she was moved home.  She spent her last days at home with her kids and family. She wanted to rest peacefully and she did. The fight was over and she was able to say goodbye to her immediate family. I have peace knowing that her requests were fulfilled, and after a long fight with a horrible disease she was no longer suffering.
     Aunt Didi was a spunky woman. She never had a problem telling you what was on her mind. In fact, one of the last times I talked to her she told me that the nurses didn't know what they were doing. I had to smile because she was outspoken and never held back.
     Deloris Gray kept her fight going for three years. One of the most important lessons that I learned from her was to enjoy every day. When she was diagnosed with cancer, she never complained, and she made a point of seeing her children and grandchildren as often as she could.
     Tell the people you love and tell them often. Hug those that you love often. Speak your truth. Love what you do and do what you love. Life is short, live each day. Don't take anything for granted. All the material things in the world cannot replace love, family, and friends. Time is precious. Smile often. Love often. These are the concepts that I have taken from a tragedy.
     As I end this entry I leave feeling lifted, and that is what my aunt would want. I'm off for a trail run now to enjoy the sunshine, and to remember Aunt Didi whose light will forever live in my heart.

Tri-on Friends,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment