My Blog Log

Thursday, September 23, 2010

For Those Who Can't I Tri

       For those of you who have been reading, the thought may have crossed you minds that this blog  is a bit narcissistic. A blog about a girl who triathlons. You are saying to yourself, "Big deal, yeah we've read it; great job Kelly, blah-blah, blah- blah." But indeed there is more to the story.
       I love to see the glass as half- full, but sometimes in life when bad things happen it seems that the glass is half- empty. Recently a friend of mine shared her philosophy with me regarding the old English proverb that bad things come in three's. Is there any truth in this?
       Three years ago, I got a disturbing  phone call from my mother. She told me that my aunt had been feeling run-down and decided to make a trip to see the doctor. Being a nurse and used to caring for others, she sometimes neglected herself. She was admitted to the hospital after finding her white blood cell count extremely low. Days later she found out that she has a rare form of cancer in her fallopian tubes. The doctor told her she had a short time left on earth. She was ready to fight with chemotherapy and whatever other methods that could extend her life. I am happy to report she is still here, fighting each day, appreciating the life she has. She never complains about her illness.
       Two years ago, I got another upsetting call from one of my best friends in North Carolina. She explained that her husband, one of my other best friends, had collapsed and was sent to the hospital where he was given immediate surgery on his back. He had contracted a rare bacterial infection close to his spine that was causing severe pain and finally his collapse. The doctors explained  it was a blessing that he had collapsed that day because if he had waited longer the infection could have caused paralysis. I am happy to report he is doing well today but still recovering from a serious infection. He takes it one day at a time.
       Last year, more horrible news, from my dad, explaining how my step-mom was suffering from chronic pain. After months of seeing doctors and trying different medications, only to find no pain relief at all, she was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, a disease with no cure. There is little information on the disease but we know that AS is primarily an inflammatory disease that affects the joints of the spine, but it can cause widespread pain in other areas of the body.  The symptoms prevent her from doing many every day activities. One of  the affects have caused her not to be able to lift her arms above her head. She used to be able to swim a mile every day and since last December when the disease hit, she has not swum. After many months and doctors appointments, she is still not relieved from the intense pain.She is currently taking a chemotherapy drug that is supposed to give her some relief but so far has not.
       For those who can't I tri. All of the events that I compete in have a cause. Many of the events raise money for Cancer. A recent bike race was a fund raiser for Diabetes. A triathlon series called Tricats Sports ( which I participate in each year) raises money for Cystic Fibrosis, another awesome cause. While there are many personal gains fulfilled competing in triathlon, the gains for others always outweigh my efforts.
       I have a mantra that I repeat when I am racing. I say to myself over and over that I can make the distance. No matter how much pain I feel,  I know it isn't close to what the three people I've mentioned  and others with serious illness, are going through. My pain during triathlon is temporary, while those with diseases, are suffering daily. With each stroke, each pedal prod, each step I take during these events, I feel it is something I can do; something to help those who can't. I can feel pain, feel life, raise money for great causes and when I cross the finish line feel like I've made a difference.

For those who can't I tri,
Kelly  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment