My Blog Log

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wilmington YMCA Sprint Triathlon and Living in the Moment

     This past weekend I had the pleasure of racing in Wilmington, North Carolina. The Wilmington Sprint is a Set-Up Event that is one the last triathlons in the North Carolina Series. This is a fun event because it is a little longer than a normal sprint as the swim is 1500 meters. The swim seems less than 1500 meters because it's done in the channel and there are usually currents to help swimmers have faster swim times. The bike is a fast twelve miles out and back and the run is fast 5k that's done in a loop around the park and into a local neighborhood.
     Not only do you have a 1500 meter swim in what feels like the,"ocean," but there were 1400 participants which makes this event seem like one of the bigger triathlons. Spectators lined the streets as we came out of the swim and again on the run, and anyone doing one of these events will understand the importance of a "stranger," cheering you on; it really does help.
     More meaningful than good spectators was the fact that I was going down not only to compete myself, but also to cheer on some college kids from NC State University whom I have the privilege of helping coach. A long term goal of mine has been to somehow give back to a sport that has given me so much over the years. When I named this blog it really rings true that my life is intertwined with triathlon. I have been able to help coach the NC State Triathlon Team for just a few short weeks, but I can't express how grateful I am to be associated with such a great group of people. I mainly help them with the swimming aspect of triathlon but they have helped me in more ways than they know.
     The club officers were thrilled with my offer to help with the swimming. They didn't really have a set practice or a structured practice so that was something that I could help with right off the bat. The appreciation and thankfulness they have shown me for showing up once a week to help out has been a dream come true. Teaching and helping other triathletes attain their goals couldn't be more satisfying. They are a very organized group of young men and women, most working on graduate studies. Most of these students have a full school and work load, and yet they are also incorporating training and racing into their  busy schedules. These kids are living proof that you can stick to a regular exercise program. I love the dedication this club has.
     The other great part of the day was the fact that when we finished we were at the beach. Wilmington is a great beach town and Wrightsville Beach has lots of great restaurants and shopping as well as a beautiful beach. After the race my friends and I were able to relax and have some great food at a restaurant called Tower 7 that offers fresh,"baja," style Mexican cuisine. A stroll on the beach ended our afternoon and even though the weather was a bit cool and overcast, life was still good.
     A very powerful thought entered my head during the swim this past weekend... the channel was a bit rough which caused me to ingest salt water, my eyes were burning from a goggle malfunction, but I was reminded of how thankful I was to be there in the moment swimming and feeling more alive than ever.

Tri- On Friends,
Kelly    
    
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment