My Blog Log

Friday, May 6, 2011

Tri- Husband

     Standing behind the scenes, taking video and pictures, and cheering loudly is my husband Mark. He has been my largest supporter of triathlon, and although he sometimes grumbles that he is surprised that I am still "at triathlon" after nine years, he is truly my biggest fan. He won't say so directly, but I've heard though the, “grapevine," that he has bragged to his friends about his" wife the triathlete" and her stats. This blog is dedicated to Mark for being a great tri- husband and a great husband in general.
     After sixteen years of marriage we have had ups and downs, highs and lows. We have two wonderful boys together, we have moved to different areas of the country together. We have built a life that I would say is pretty special. Is it perfect? Of course it's not. Anyone who claims they have the perfect marriage is lying. Marriage is hard work and when you are with someone day in and day out it can be a challenge sometimes, but in the end the commitment is worth it.
     When I started triathlon my boys were five and a year and a half.  I had to organize my training schedule around nap times and meal times. Thankfully, I had the YMCA to train at and I had Mark to help watch the boys. My husband knew how important triathlon had become to me after my first race in July of 2002.
      In the beginning, I had thought I would try "a" triathlon (singular). I had been a competitive swimmer and runner growing up. After college I had swum with a masters group to stay in shape and had begun to do some 5 and 10k races, nothing too serious. I always loved swimming and when I read about the new triathlon "craze" that had hit mainstream, I knew I had to try one. I knew that with my swimming I had an advantage over many of the runners. All I had to do was add cycling; piece of cake right?
     Long story short, I completed my first sprint triathlon donning a mountain bike and a camel back water container strapped to my back that weighed about ten pounds. When everyone on the bike portion of the race was passing me I wondered what in the world I was doing wrong. How could some of these people be passing me? I was a better athlete than that! And so began my love affair with triathlon.
     My husband and young boys greeted me at the finish line of Triangle Triathlon back in 2002 with hugs and cheers of, “go Mom!" My husband's first words were," Well you did it, bet you're glad it's over!" But the reality was it wasn't over because as I crossed the finish line, I was mad that other people had passed me on the bike, and I was already plotting my next strategy to do better.
     My first words were, “That was great and I need a new bike." My husband's response, “You want to do another?" "Yes, I'm signing up for next years," was my response. "I know I can do better on the bike!"
     My husband bought me a used road bike within the next couple of months after my first tri. "I figure you will tire of this, so let’s try a used bike first." When years later I told him about the new, lighter weight, faster, bikes, he said, “You are not slowing down are you?" For my fortieth birthday he got me a new Lemond road bike that I still have today. That was five years ago.
     Recently, a colleague of my husband’s said, “Don’t worry, she'll slow down once she hits forty." My husband said, “Really, she's turning forty five this year and she is signed up for four races this season."
     Through it all, Mark has rarely missed one of my events. If he has it has been because he was taking care of our kids or because they too had sporting events going on at the same time. I try very hard not to schedule my events when the kids have things because I hate to miss them. Usually the conflict comes up because I have to plan my season in January so I don't get closed out of events, and January is before their busy spring season of lacrosse. He never complains about being on the sidelines. He is always there for all of us; whether he is lugging gear, cheering, smiling or supporting, he is our rock.
     A few years ago, I had a stress fracture to my left tibia and couldn't run for about six months. When I was finally able to run again his response was, “That was longer for me than it was for you darling." He was glad when I could train and race again because it makes me a happier person. And you know the saying, “If Momma ain’t happy..."
    Don't misunderstand, Mark is not a pushover. He loves fishing, hunting, golf and the great outdoors, and partakes in those activities in between our family’s activities. I realize the importance for him to go and do these things, just as he gets why I “tri."  We both need our play time. The outlets we both have are healthy for our relationship.
     Now I have a blog about triathlon and Mark has become my editor. When I started the blog I think Mark was secretly thinking, thank god, now I don't have to hear her go on about it any longer.  "Could you please proof this," I'll plead." He is one of my faithful followers that reads what I have to write each week, and always follows with a, “Great one," or ,"Your best one yet," even though I know there are many other things he'd rather be reading or doing. When I say," I wish I was a famous writer," he responds by saying, “You are a writer Kelly." I love him for all of it.
     Triathlon has strengthened my marriage. The outlet it provides gives me courage and happiness to tackle whatever life's obstacles bring. I encourage you to find whatever outlets make you tick. 


Mark and Kelly at Beach to Battleship Triathlon 2011

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. this was so heartfelt. I had little tear in my eye reading it. I believe that you have both come so far together. And I see that instead of being in the way, your shared interest makes each other happy.

    ReplyDelete