My Blog Log

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tri- Scheduling

     Okay it's January 7th have you kept your resolutions so far? One week into the new year and I have even slipped on some of my new goals, but have no fear, just like slipping off of a new diet or exercise program, it is easy to get back on the wagon. Don't sabotage yourself if you haven't quite kept up, goals are not an all or nothing experiment. I have learned through triathlon that slow and steady is the way to success to get myself to the finish line and the same applies to things that we want in life; slow and steady and you'll get there.
     This post is about making a plan for race season. I am often asked about the different types of triathlon and how I decide what races to do. Each January, along with my resolutions, I sit down and make a list of the different races and distances that I want to accomplish for the upcoming season. I am a planner and I tend to stick with things more if I have them in writing. My husband says,"Don't put things in writing unless you really mean it." There is some real truth in that statement because I find that writing things down puts ownership on it. Especially when I am writing a blog for an audience, I better do what I say or I am going to lose credibility. Highly successful people write things down and follow through. So no matter if you are planning to lose weight, quit smoking, or starting a business, a written plan will help you.
     There are four different levels of triathlon. The original triathlon was the full distance or Iron distance triathlon. In 1977 a bet was made between five men after a running event. The argument was, who is the better athlete: a runner, a swimmer, or a cyclist? Each person thought their area of expertise made them the better athlete and so they came up with a contest to take place in Hawaii. The gruelling winds, the heat and the distance would make it an incredible challenge.They would swim 1.2 miles, bike 112 miles, and run a full marathon of 26.2 miles to see who faired the best and so Kona Triathlon or the Ironman World Triathlon was created.
      The triathlon bug caught on in the 1990's and race directors around the country realized they could attract more athletes by adding some different distances. There is a Half Iron distance which is a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike and a half marathon(13.1). The challenging Olympic Distance(which was just added in 2000 to the Olympics), which consists of 1 mile swim, a 25-30 mile bike and a 10 K run. Finally, for the newbie or really fast athlete there is the Sprint Triathlon which usually consists of a half mile swim, a 15-20 mile bike, and a 5k run. Don't scoff at any of the shorter versions of triathlon because each distance offers a unique challenge. Terrain and weather conditions can turn a sprint into a tough event.
     When planning your race schedule it is important to keep the distances in mind. Obviously if you have never done a triathlon before it would be a good idea to try a sprint distance in my opinion. That is the shortest distance, but by no means the easiest because you have to go fast to get placement in these types of events. A pool swim is also important if you are newbie to the sport. Many athletes that are not well versed in swimming panic and a pool swim is a great way to ease any swim anxiety. Many YMCA's offer triathlons with pool swims. This is an excellent way to start if you are interested because it won't take over your life in order to train for the event. A few hours a week diligently training in each venue will get you to the finish line. When you get into the Olympic distance and on up to Ironman the training gets more involved and becomes a second job to most, but it can be done.
     Once you decide on the distance then it is time to find an event. This can be done by searching the Internet and looking for local events. If it is your first triathlon I would recommend you find one local. Triathlon entry fees can be pricey. It costs the race director a lot more money to put on one of these events because you need area to swim, bike and run along with timing programs and public officials to help manage large amount of people doing it; hence it is more expensive to put on than a running event. I like Active.com to find events but I also love talking to other athletes to see which events they liked and why. Other triathletes will talk to you all day long about this stuff. I think staying local will also cut down on your lodging expenses. Once you've tried it and had some success, than you could move to another distance and even another town or state. I guarantee if you train properly and plan accordingly you'll be hooked and you will want to do another and then another.
     I usually plan on around  four triathlons per season. I could probably do more but that seems to fit into my life and not overtake other important areas like work and family. I like to do smaller distances to start my season and then end my season with the longer distances. This type of staging makes perfect sense because just like my training, the racing is a gradual build to the longer distance at the end of my season. I love to do local events because I feel I am supporting my community that way. The Tricat Sports series is  a group of triathlons that I like to do each year and the races are near my hometown of Dillsburg, Pennsylvania.
     The series benefits cystic fibrosis. The series offers a few sprint distance tri's along with an Olympic distance and this year they may be offering a half iron distance. Don't let the sprints fool you; these are challenging sprints- one takes place in the hilly area of Pinchot State park and the other is a course on City Island in Harrisburg, PA. The swim on City Island takes place in the Susquehanna River and it is not for the person who is fearful of the water; at any given time you may dodge logs, rocks or people.
     Another series that is close to home for me is called the Rivertown Race Series. This series offers triathlons, running and cycling events. But sometimes you can't find races that are local to meet your needs so you have to figure out how much you want to spend and what distances you want. I used to live in North Carolina and there is a wonderful series there where you could do a race every weekend if you wanted, but I wouldn't recommend it. Florida  is another state that offers a nice variety of triathlon events.
     There are some great books out there to help with training once you've decided on what event or events. A favorite of mine is called Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steven Jonas. It is the first book I read on triathlon and it gives wonderful advice as well as realistic training programs. I would recommend it for the new triathlete or the well versed.
     Look for me this year at the Philadelphia Olympic Distance Triathlon. I've always wanted to do this one but I usually get closed out. Yet another reason to plan early. The more popular venues fill up quickly and ofter there is a cap on the event.
      There is a lot to consider when signing up for a triathlon but that is another reason why I love it. My type"A" personality thrives on the fact that I must plan accordingly for my season. Triathlon is so involved because of the equipment, time, training, and planning, but that is one more bragging right that you can enjoy when you cross the finish line, and say,"Yeah, I did that one!"

 Happy Tri-ing!
 Kelly

P.S. My last entry I mentioned that I wanted to start a charity called Empower-Tees. Please collect your old race shirts(gently used or new) and inspiring sports tee-shirts to send to the women's and men's shelters in Harrisburg, PA. I believe that we may be able to inspire some struggling folks to get fit, but also to change their lives for the better. I'll soon have a PO Box where you can send your new or gently used tees, so look for more info soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment