My Blog Log

Friday, December 3, 2010

You Don't have to "TRI" to Stay Fit

     It has been a few weeks since my last entry and while I'm still proud of the Half Ironman, reality has set in and it's time to get back to business. Beach2Battleship was my last event for the season ,but that does not mean it is time to hang up my goggles, bike shorts, or running shoes. Au contraire mon frere. The off season is an important part of my training time.
     A common question I have been asked lately is how do you find the time to train? I wanted to share some tips on time management for training. I also want to express in this entry that you don't have to be a triathlete to incorporate some changes in your life that are healthy ones. I was recently inspired to write this blog from a woman that is a student teacher. She asked, "How does someone over a certain weight run?" My response was ,"don't run, walk and add running in one minute increments." I also mentioned that the HydroWorx pool ,with the underwater treadmill, would be a great option for her to try because you are virtually weightless in the water.
     I think it is really hard for people to understand that I just didn't wake up one morning and go out and do a triathlon. It has taken years of building my fitness level.
     Here are some tips to help the average person get started. First of all, if you can, join a gym. I joined the YMCA when my children were small. They have wonderful daycare and I could drop off my kids and get a great  work-out in. But if you can't afford a gym there are other ways to get fit.
      Invest in a jog stroller. I did this when my son Bryce was born and it was a Godsend. I didn't always run, I started out taking walks with him in the jog stroller and started to run a little bit at time during my walks. If I felt like running I did, if I felt like walking I did. I would add a couple of minutes of running with walking and before I knew it I had added ten minutes of running to my half hour walk. It takes an average person around ten minutes to run a mile. This walk-run was good for my son too. We were outside getting some fresh air, experiencing nature. Once my son got older we could use our runs as a learning time as well. I could point to things outside and ask him,"What's that?" I made a game out of our runs.
     During the toddler years, I let my son ride his Big Wheel along the trail I ran on. He couldn't go too far at first, but I was still fitting in some exercise and he was getting worn out and also benefiting from riding his "bike," as I used to call it. If he was cranky I promised a trip to the park when Mommy was finished getting her exercise time in. I used to call it my," play time," and explained to him that Mommy needed time to play too and then it would be,"Bryce's time." He quickly learned that he wasn't the only one who wanted to do things. This was an important lesson for him..
     When my second son was born I invested in a double jog stroller. Some other inexpensive equipment is a jump rope, rollerblades, resistance bands and balance ball, and a bike seat. If you have kids they can jump rope or roller blade with you. The bike seat attached to the back of my bike so I could ride around the neighborhood while my son got to enjoy the great outdoors. I wasn't biking 56 miles, just a few miles around the neighborhood , but it still counts. These small pieces of equipment add up to exercise and eventually you can get your kids doing these activities with you.
     Around seven years ago I developed a stress fracture and I couldn't run but, I was still able to do low impact exercise like swim and the elliptical at the Y, but again if you can't afford a gym, I have another way to stay fit.
      I bought some Pilate's DVDs that were wonderful. You can do the DVDs whenever you want in the privacy of your own home and I did not gain an ounce of weight during the time of my stress fracture. Pilate's is a wonderful toning tool. I like it better than yoga because it combines dance movements with quick repetitions, giving you more of a cardio workout than you get with straight yoga.
     Get a work-out partner. If you are meeting someone early in the morning or late in the evening to exercise it holds you more accountable. You'll feel bad if you don't show up and the other person has made the effort.
     As far as balancing work, family, and exercise, a common excuse is, "I don't have time to exercise." My response is, "Yes you do!".  Incorporate it into your day just like anything else and it can be done. I think of it like eating or sleeping; it is necessity. If you are working and balancing a family the easiest way to fit in exercise is to do it early in the morning. Go to bed an hour earlier and get up an hour earlier. All you need to get started is about thirty minutes. I always say that something is better than nothing. Even twenty minutes of cardio can give you some benefits.
     "My kids have so many activities, I don't have time," is another excuse I hear often. I can relate to this and I have been known to go for a run during my kids soccer practice. They are old enough now that I can leave them for their hour long practice and sneak off for my run. If you are not comfortable leaving then run or walk around the soccer area where you can keep an eye on them. I see many moms sitting in a chair during their kid's practice and I think what is the point in that, you could be utilizing this time to get your own exercise. My kids don't mind if I don't watch all of their practices,so don't feel guilty.
     Finally, ask your significant other to help. My husband knows how important it is for me to release all my stress through some physical activity; mine just happens to be swimming, running, or biking. He is awesome about chipping in and helping with the kids so I may do those activities. He knows that I will support him come hunting season and for his occasional fishing trips. We work together to get what we both want.
       Anyone can get fit. Start small, do what you love, increase whatever activity you do in increments. Get your kids involved.You'll be leaner and your kids will admire you when you can play tag or kick the soccer ball with them.
     The best compliment  I received came after my Half Ironman from my now thirteen year old son. He said, "Mom are you happy that you did your Half Ironman?" I said, "Of course." He said,"I want to do an Ironman someday and dedicate it to you." I cried!    

 Take Care and Happy "Tri-ing,"
  Kelly
  

1 comment: