My Blog Log

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tri- Taper

     Taper-a gradual diminution of thickness, diameter or width of an elongated object. b. a gradual decrease, refers to the gradual practice of reducing before an endurance event.

     Perhaps the hardest part of training for me is the taper period. The taper is the gradual backing off and rest time before the big day. After months of following a training regimen and building to long runs, bikes, and swims, suddenly it is time to cut back. The two weeks before the event it is important to rest; easier said than done.
     This post is about how I deal with the taper part of triathlon. First, I remember all of the time and training I have put in. There have been some weeks that I didn't quite get in everything that was on my plan but I know from previous races that this will not effect race day. Last year I got sick with a cold before an event and my training during the course of the cold was not up to par. Once I felt better I got right back into my routine and my event went well. A mistake to avoid is to train when you are sick. I have done that before and it has taken me twice as long to recover from an illness like a cold or flu. Listen to your body; don't train if you are sick.
     I continue to do some light workouts two weeks before and I rest, almost completely one week before. This weekend I did a light run for an hour on Saturday then on Sunday I'll cycle for around two hours. Monday is a swim day (I have just five days before the race) this is a low impact workout and since the bulk of my training has been running and biking I feel I need a swim to build confidence.The rest of the week will probably be complete rest; if anything a light run Tuesday and then positively nothing else regarding training.
     The rest of the week will be dedicated to organizing what I will need for the race; all the gear as well as nutritional items. I make lists and check them twice. I check my bike to make sure it is in good working order as well. I had a bike tune-up a few weeks ago at a local bike shop where they checked my tires, gears, handle bars etc. The bike shop took apart my gears and re-oiled the parts to insure a good working machine come race day. I would highly recommend a bike tune up at least once a year.
     I also try to keep my mind positive the week prior to an event. I think positively about what is coming. I practice in my mind how I will transition from one sport to another. I also don't talk to people that might come up with negative things to say about race day. Although people don't often realize what they are doing I've had many negative comments before my events. My own father can say things that would freak a new person to the sport out. To give you an  example he has said things like,"Better you than me," and, "Why would you want to swim in the ocean?  It is going to be so cold in November."Negative talk can send anyone into panic mode, especially if it is a first time racer. I surround myself with positive thoughts and positive people.
     Finally, I try to eat properly. Everyone is different but I do try to eat a fair amount of carbohydrates and protein for muscle recovery the week before an event. The night before an event I like to eat pasta and maybe a grilled chicken breast, salad with oil and vinegar and bread. Hydration is also important the week before as well as the day of; get your eight glasses a day if possible.I don't like to eat a lot of meat prior to an event because it is harder to digest. Avoid anything new to your diet and avoid spicy or fatty foods; the last thing  you want on race day is an upset stomach. If you are anything like me, I always have a nervous stomach so you don't want to add other digestive problems.
     I pray too. I have a very spiritual side and believe in the power of prayer. God always gets me through an endurance event. He is by my side when I really need him. Along with God, my family almost always comes out to support me , and I can't tell you how much that helps get me through the difficulty. I know at some point I'll see them, and their smiles and cheers help get me to the finish line.Again it goes back to keeping positive. Without the support of my family and friends and of course HydroWorx,  I would never make it to the starting line.
     My mantra during every event I have ever participated in is," I'm probably not going to first, but I definitely won't be last and I'm a better athlete than half the people on this course( who knows if any of that is true but...) I repeat this over and over to instill peace and confidence in myself. The rest will take care of itself.

Wish me luck!
My first Half Iron Man(solo)is this Saturday,
Stay tuned for details about Beach2Battleship Tri ...
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment